What To Do If You Donít Get a Form W-2

If you worked as an employee during 2014, your employer must give you a Form W-2, "Wage and Tax Statement," by February 2, 2015. This form shows the amount of wages you received for the year and the taxes withheld from those wages, and it must be filed with your return.

If you haven't received yours by mid-February, you should first ask your employer to give you a copy of your Form W-2. If the employer mails the form to you, be sure they have the correct address.

If you exhaust the options with your employer and you still have not received the Form W-2, call the IRS at 800-829-1040. Have the following available when you call:

Your tax return is due by April 15, 2015. If you don't get your Form W-2 in time to file, we usually recommend extending your return for six months. However, you can use Form 4852, "Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement," to file your return by April 15. You will need to estimate your wages and withheld taxes and the IRS may delay processing your return while it verifies the information. Also, an amended tax return may need to be filed if you receive the missing Form W-2 after you file and the tax information on the form is different from what you originally reported on your Forms 4852 and 1040.

This publication is distributed with the understanding that the author, publisher and distributor are not rendering legal, accounting or other professional advice or opinions on specific facts or matters, and, accordingly, assume no liability whatsoever in connection with its use. The information contained in this newsletter was not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of (1) avoiding tax-related penalties prescribed by the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting or marketing any tax-related matter addressed herein. © 2015