Reporting a Name Change

Have you recently changed your name? If so, it can affect your taxes. The names on your tax return must match Social Security Administration (SSA) records. If you have married or divorced and changed your name, you must notify the SSA of your name change. Also, notify the SSA if your dependent had a name change (for example, if you've adopted a child and the child's last name changed).

File Form SS-5 ("Application for a Social Security Card") to notify the SSA of your name change. You can get the form from or by calling 800-772-1213. The new card will reflect your new name with the same SSN you had before the name change.

This publication is distributed with the understanding that the author, publisher and distributor are not rendering legal, accounting or other professional advice or opinions on specific facts or matters, and, accordingly, assume no liability whatsoever in connection with its use. The information contained in this newsletter was not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of (1) avoiding tax-related penalties prescribed by the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting or marketing any tax-related matter addressed herein. © 2015